-
May 27th, 2003, 12:06 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi all!
I was wondering about some ways to hide an avg. sized S8 camera while keeping the lens unobstructed. I would like to do time-lapse in subway stations, the only problem is.... it's illegal. I'm thinking duffel bag with a hole in it or something like that, but with the country on high alert i don't want to be all suspicious looking.
-
May 27th, 2003, 06:43 AM
#2
Inactive Member
how about pretending your a tourist?
-
May 27th, 2003, 07:37 PM
#3
Inactive Member
The problem is, you are doing time lapse.
So your camera has to be absolutely still.
My suggestion is to get a briefcase and cut a lens hole in it.
Mount your camera in it securely, with bolts & zip ties, or whatever & have just a bit of the lens poking out.
That way, your camera will be level, and you won't be screwing around with a soft bag of any type, which of course is going to lean and flop around. A remote would be nice too, although wires hanging out of the case might be a bad idea!
A laptop case is probably the best idea, actually. If you could get one that sits upright, AND has two zippers, you could just unzip one side with the lens poking out.
I filmed in the Sacramento airport for Lost Tribes, but of course, that was before the 9/11 mania, so I doubt I could pull it off now, in the same manner I did.
These days, I don't think you're going to be able to do much without arousing suspicion.
Get be ready for a cavity seatch at any time, and I'm not referring to your camera's cavity!
Matt Pacini
-
May 27th, 2003, 11:49 PM
#4
Inactive Member
BSF, where are you doing this? If it's New York, be extra extra careful. Because the city is experiencing a severe budget crisis, the NYPD is issuing far more tickets for petty "quality of life" crimes.
One man was issued an $85 ticket for sitting on a milk carton on the sidewalk, in front of the store he was working for. The infraction being unauthorized use of a milk carton. I'm not kidding.
And parking tickets are through the roof. The letter of the law is being enforced these days. So it's not only suspicion of terrorism, it's the cities need for some green.
So just be extra careful.
Of course, if you're not doing this in New York, then, I guess I've just wasted a couple minutes writing this. [img]eek.gif[/img]
-
May 28th, 2003, 02:34 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Hey guys, thanks for the replies!
I'm doing this in Boston. I think the laptop case is a good idea.
Pretending to be a tourist doesn't work. If MBTA cops see anything that resembles a camera they deal with it very quickly, S8 or SLR.
I was doing some time lapse a few months ago using a small tripod and a boot sized camera. After about 10 minutes (I'm surprised I lasted that long) a very large man came over to me and demanded that a put the camera away NOW! He said I needed a permit and if he saw me again with the camera out he would have me arrested for trespassing. After doing research I found that it would take around half a million in insurance + a cop on scene. Not cool for just playing around with time lapse.
-
May 28th, 2003, 10:06 PM
#6
Inactive Member
I think in this day and age I would at least try to get a permit for shooting.
Even if you had a camera in a briefcase siting on a bench....if you were spotted you would detained. [img]mad.gif[/img]
What ever you do don't leave your briefcase unattended or you might see it on TV
[img]graemlins/wilted.gif[/img] as the bomb squad had to blow it up, just in case. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
-
May 28th, 2003, 11:37 PM
#7
Inactive Member
I'm not trying to be a punk when I say this, but if I can help it, (or until I start shooting 35mm) I will do everything possible to avoid getting a permit.
I do realize the consequences of what could happen if I am caught, and understand there are one or two good reasons that shooting on private property (MBTA) is legal, but just playing around with time lapse footage is not worth the hassle of getting a permit. The film and processing costs are enough! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 28, 2003 08:39 PM: Message edited by: BSF ]</font>
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 28, 2003 08:41 PM: Message edited by: BSF ]</font>
-
May 29th, 2003, 12:40 AM
#8
Inactive Member
-
May 29th, 2003, 03:48 PM
#9
Inactive Member
!Warning this is long!
It's illegal because technically MBTA property is private property, and it's illegal to shoot on private property without the owners permission, or certain public property without a permit. Consent from the MBTA would be in the form of a permit.
And I just did a quick search and learned this!
Here are some links that I found. If you?re too lazy, er- I mean efficient to read from the links below, I pulled out the stuff that pertains to my situation.
http://www.nycsubway.org/faq/photopermits.html
http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/film/permitting.asp
*********************
THIS DOCUMENT DOES NOT PERTAIN TO PROFESSIONAL, COMMERCIAL, OR NEWS/PRESS PHOTO OR MOVIE SHOOTS!
Response from MBTA Customer Service: You must visit the MBTA Marketing Department located in room 6720 at Ten Park Plaza, 6th floor, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 A.M. and 4:30 P.M. A picture ID is required for identification. The photo permit is free of charge and it is good for one month. Please feel free to call Carol Timberlake at 617-222-1579. All persons are required to abide by MBTA regulations requiring one not to block commuters from disembarking or accessing public transportation. Also, persons wanting to take photos must adhere to station personnel requests, ie. If they ask you to remove yourself from the station due to an emergency or excessive overcrowding - please do so. IMPORTANT: Please don't flash a camera at the driver's window as it will affect the driver's ability to see.
*********************
This is for a photo permit- now... time lapse filming is 'like' photography.... so..... [img]cool.gif[/img]
Now also here's this:
****************************8
For protection against possible occurence of personal injury, you must provide a Certificate of Insurance with a minimum of $1,000,000.00 issued to: The City of Boston, Boston City Hall, Room 716, Boston, MA with The City of Boston as the certificate holder. This Certificate ensures security in the unlikely event of personal injury occurring on city property as a result of your activities. You must request a Certificate of Insurance from your own insurance company, and have it dated for the entire period of time you are working in the City of Boston.
*******************************
There! That's that. Oh man... let's just make cartoons instead.
p.s. sorry this was so long?
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 29, 2003 09:11 PM: Message edited by: BSF ]</font>
-
June 2nd, 2003, 11:22 PM
#10
Inactive Member
You guys say "get a permit" like you just have to walk in and ask for one!
I'm going through this now, because I'm shooting on public forest land, and to get a permit, they're requiring me to have 1 million dollars general liability insurance, PLUS 1 million dollars extra liability, naming the county I'm filming in as the beneficiary!!!!!!
TWO MILLION DOLLARS INSURANCE COVERAGE for a permit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, I don't know if it's gonna happen.
I'm still checking into it, but I am so sick and tired of the government always viewing its citizens as objects to milk cash from.
I understand the need for insurance, but come on, this is outrageous.
Matt Pacini
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks